Monday, April 13, 2009

Return to Lisboa...

I went to Lisbon last year but was only there for about two days, and so for my Easter vacation this year I decided to go back to Portugal. I went back to Lisbon specifically so that I could explore some of the cities nearby the capital city that I had heard were really beautiful.

This is a picture of downtown Lisbon. These trams are all over and are really helpful when you want to climb the cities many hills.

Here's a view of Lisbon's hilltop castle, Castelo di San Jorge.

So many of the houses and buildings in Lisbon have this colorful tiled style. It looks especially nice when there's bright sunny weather.

I ran into one problem while I was walking around the most famous old neighborhood of Lisbon, the Alfama. I was mostly taking pictures of buildings and streets and whatnot, but I snapped a couple pictures of some of the Portuguese people talking on the street. I wasn't discrete enough, and one of the men saw me and took offense. He wanted me to show him the photograph I had taken. Of course I didn't show him, me being alone and all. His friends told me to beat it; I dunno whether they were mad too or whether they just wanted to give me some advice. Anyways, I was careful not to blatently take people pictures after that.

A picture of the place from which I took the other picture of the castle... this picture is taken from that castle.

These people didn't see me; so it was alright that I took their picture. Behind them is one of the long bridges that cross the Tejo River.

Here's a typical pastry from Portugal (and specifically from a town near Lisbon). It's a pastry of "Belem", and I went to the town of the same name to taste this cream filled delicacy.

Among the most famous art forms in Portugal is the tiled design of the 'azulejos'. These blue and white ceramic murals are planted throughout the country in churches, museums, and other places where it's obvious that the people had/have money.

A view overtop the center of Lisbon from another gardened hill.


It was a typical spring in Lisbon: sunny some hours, rainy the next few, sunny again, cloudy...

1 comment:

DAD said...

Lisboa looks fantastic. What was the pastry thing you took a picture of? It looks really good. It still looks a bit cool there. Spring is coming here too. Thank goodness. Miss ya.

DAD