Saturday, January 12, 2008

2008 in Spain

I was actually a bit thrown off by the celebration of the New Year in the Times Square of Spain (la Puerta del Sol en Madrid). I thought that we'd have to arrive four hours in advance of the New Year just to have a standing space to see the famous bells ring twelve times... but I was mistaken. Once again, it seems that the Spanish are in it for the long haul: the real celebrating went on after the New Year commenced. The Puerta del Sol was not so packed as I thought it might be, and a large portion of the people I noticed there were actually foreigners. I heard a lot of Italian, French, German, and Chinese. In typical Spanish fashion, there was no MC or anyone to coordinate the mass of people, just a massive screen in front of the government building with the bells above.

It was very festive and exciting, and the music streaming from the big screen was very nice also: a mix of British and American rock, along with a few electronic beats, and a few Spanish hits as well. The New Year came, and we, all dressed in the height of Madrid New Year designer fashion (10 Euro wigs bought from the booths of nearby Plaza Mayor), had our grapes ready in hand. The custom in Spain is to eat one grape for each of the twelve bells that ring in the New Year. You have about a second to eat each grape, and so, inevitably, each person ends up with about twelves grapes in their mouth. We had a little tin containing twelve grapes for each of us, and so, when the time came, we just downed it. It was so loud we could hardly hear the bells anyway.

Apparently, like I mentioned before, the really excitment for Spaniards begins after the bells toll. They are ready to celebrate in their favorite bars and clubs in the only way they know how: all night long. We, who already expended much of our energy earlier in the day, could scarely keep up with them at this point, and so we became mild observors. The streets were very packed with people coming and leaving. I think that many people celebrate the New Year at home or in restaurants and other places with friends and family, and then they come out afterwards to take it to the night. Not a bad way to do things if you ask me (it's funny; I heard from a Spanish professor that they do the same thing on Christmas!). Anyway, I'll spare you the locurity of trying to explain the Spanish nightlife to you just now. Check out my pictures if you want a to see a taste. I have it listed on My Pictures site on the left hand side of the page.

Anyway: we spent a little while trying to find a cafe that sold sandwiches with prices that weren't hiked up astronomically high for evening's festivities. We found our place, sauntered around for a little while, and then hit the sack. Luckily, our hotel was located five minutes walk from the main streets, and so we heard nothing of the ensuing fiesta.

Breakfast, more sleep, and more relaxing watching CNN International on our hotel's satellite television (we don't get that station or any English station here in Logrono) made up the first of January for us. The day after we were off to new places again. Abby and I had rooms booked in the nearby cities of Segovia, Avila, and Valladolid for the next three nights. The path through those three cities would actually lead us in the direction of Logrono (they are all located in the autonomous community of Castilla y Leon).

I will make a post expaining these places; but, stay tuned to My Pictures to get a look at the castles, cathedrals, and holiday festivities of the cities we visited.

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Year! I know we did here. It was very different, and I can't say that I didn't miss everyone and the way we celebrate the holidays back in Minnesota/North Dakota, but just knowing that you're keeping up the tradition makes me feel a lot better. Good luck to all of you who made New Year's resolutions this year. I feel like the New Year has just begun for me (today is January 12th), and I think that those of you who know me best would agree that this is quite typical. I generally run about a week and a half behind; but, then again, you know not too worry yourselves about me too much. I'm learning quickly how fast a week can go, and also, if you push yourself, how much can actually get done in a day.

Bye for now, my friends and family. I wish you all a Feliz Ano (Happy New Year) y muchos mas! (and many more!).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great New Year's Picture. It was quite different at home. We played that tile game, and tried to stay up till midnight. We also sipped wine which didn't help us stay up. We did make it to the new year, and thought about you when it hit. We tinked our glasses, and then went to bed. I don't think we'd have done well with the Spanish nightlife. Not without some frequent naps. Anyway, Happy New Year!!