Thursday, January 17, 2008

Castilla y Leon

Abby and I visited three Spanish cities (consecutively) in January after New Year's in Madrid: Segovia, Avila, and Valladolid. All three cities are in the autonomous community of Castilla y Leon, northwest of Madrid and west - southwest of La Rioja. We toured each city in one day, staying in a hotel, and taking the local bus or train to the next destination.


Segovia


Avila



Valladolid

My memory card ran out of space by this point in the trip. Valladolid was the city that I stayed in the first time I went to Spain in 2004. I was in Valladolid for one month taking a Spanish conversation class. Abby and I went to see some of the sites that I remembered, including the university I attended (which was located in the middle of an old bullfighting ring), the Plaza Mayor (all decorated for the holidays), and the big city park (complete with birds of all kinds--the most interesting being the albino peacocks).

We made it back to Logrono just in time to enjoy Three Kings Day (Dia de los Reyes Magos)... aka Epiphony.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't remember that your old university was in the middle of a bull fighting ring. Did you tell me that?? So much to see and so little time. Hang in there.