Sunday, September 16, 2007

Leaving Tomorrow

I'm staying in a motel tonight in Bloomington, MN, and we're heading out for a full day's worth of traveling tomorrow. I fly out of Minneapolis at 12:00 PM and arrive in Atlanta at about 3:45. I'll leave Atlanta at 6:00 and arrive in Madrid, Spain, about nine hours later at 9:00 AM Spain time. From there we will catch a 3:00 PM northbound bus from Madrid to Logrono, which should take another three hours or so. We'll be staying the first couple nights at a hostel in Logrono called La Pension Rey Pastor. It's going to be a full two days worth of traveling, so I'm going to need my sleep; and I'm definitely going to need my sleep on the plane.


I have packed everything I will need for the next eight months in a 26" suitcase, a big blue duffel bag, and two black backpacks. I put my hanging clothes, sweaters, tennis racquet, and other supplies in my suitcase. I also packed a teamaker and tea-jar, a brand new frisbee, and an unlocked international cellphone. My duffel bag is carrying the rest of my clothes and shoes along with extra toiletries and other niceties. I also have several electrical adapters, an electrical converter, and a satellite alarm clock. I put some space-saver bags that my grandparents gave me to good use with my clothing. They're like giant ziploc bags that pressure lock my clothing together for easy storage and removal. My bags look so organized with them too. Thanks Grandma and Grandpa B! I hope to use them again on my way back.









My two black backpacks will be my carry-ons. They contain my lap-top, my camera, some books, a deck of cards, and an inflatable neck pillow for the flight. I also have copies and original of all my pertinent information about the reservations and the application I still need to fill out for a Spanish identification card.


So, I better get to bed. Big day tomorrow. I am planning on making a post my first night in Spain to say how the flight went. Wish us luck!

3 comments:

travel-ography.com said...

Hi Ben,
Hope your travels so far have been wonderful and your suitcases arrive safely in Madrid. Happy apartment hunting. Keep writing....I'm enjoying your blog. Bye, Linda

Anonymous said...

Hey Ben:

Spent the first night without you here, and yes, both Mom and I missed you. I liked the pictures of your bags. I've never seen you that organized. Was Abby as organized as you? I picked up your cooler from college. The guy in the learning center that got it for me, was quite a bit older than you. I didn't ask if that was "Scott". If I see Steve in there I'll ask. Well, hope things are going well. Let me know when you settle in, and I'll fill you in on the home front.

Miss you.

DAD

Anonymous said...

Ben,
Glad to hear you and Abby made it to Logronio. How did the apt. hunting go? You should have met your German friend too; hopefully you will all find something you can call home for 9 months. Today was beautiful here. I spent the whole day outside; in the garden, picking apples, and cleaning your car!! Dad hasn't started using yet, but he probably will tomorrow. Let us know what you are up to, and send some pictures!
Love Mom