Saturday, September 29, 2007

A Week and a Half Feels Like a Month


It's Saturday today, and we've been in Spain since the previous weeks' Tuesday. We have done so much, we have been so busy that I cannot believe we haven't been here longer. Orientation was helpful in that it put us in contact with other people from the program. I met new friends from England, Italy, Germany, Ireland, California, New Mexico, Boston, and, of course, Spain.


There are about twelve assistants in the program teaching in Logrono. One Italian girl, one German girl, Abby and myself, and about eight other young people from the U.S., needless to say, I think we will be able to help each other out if we have any problems.


I don't have my photos uploaded yet that I took from orientation and from Madrid, but I did update my photos site with shots of our new apartment. We are actually meeting with the mother of the owner today (because the owner lives in England) to sign the contract for the next nine months. Yikes! She is also going to help us to buy everything that the apartment is lacking: iron, some pots pans dishes, bedding, pillows, and other small necessities. We will have to make a down payment, of course, for the first month as well as pay for the week we've already stayed there (they gave us a good deal). We're still looking into getting internet in the apartment. We figure we'll use it enough to make it worth the $30 - 40 a month. Other than that our utilities bills are limited to gas and electricity, which we're hoping will run about $50 - 100 at the most. We'll see how cold the Logrono winters are.


Again, our piso (apt) has two bedrooms, a large corner couch in the living room, a decent sized television with a DVD player, windows and balconies on both the street side and the inside patio side, a storage closet, large bedroom closets, a nice kitchen, a nice bathroom, hardwood floors, cool overhead lights, etc.


Look at the pictures on my Photos Link: http://http://picasaweb.google.com/b2kohler. This link is always on the bottom of my information list on the left of the webpage.


I need to go now. I start my classes on Monday. I've been told the first week is just another orientation and introduction. I'll let you know soon. Hasta pronto! (Until soon!)
Thanks to everyone who has written me! It's very reassuring to know you're out there!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ben,
Your apt. looks very nice! I emailed you a letter before checking your blog, so you'll have to pardon my questions. Have you heard from your second school yet? And will you be going to both schools each day? You could be putting a few miles on your shoes!! Have fun moving into the new hosienda (I'm sure I spelled that wrong). Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Nice APT. but where's the jacuzzi? Actually looks pretty nice, except for the dish washer. Would I survive? I saw in one of the picture (the hallway), a decorative stick next to the door. Looks way cool. Is it a walking stick, or what? Looks like you have wild life right next door. good luck shopping with the landlord.
Love ya,

Anonymous said...

My Dear Brother - I have enjoyed reading your entries as well as looking at all your lovely pictures. I'm seriously amazed at how HUGE your apartment is - Rach kept talking about how small their places are in Spain - but you look like you found a diamond in the rough ;) Roger and I are impressed! I am still working on him for coming to visit. Perhaps spring break!? I'll see what I can do ;) You just called the house however, so I think I should go and talk with you now! Toodles!

Anonymous said...

Ben~

Me gusta tu piso espanol! Es muy grande y bonito. (hopefully I said that correcto) I am surprised how spacious and modern it is (with the wood floors) Looks pretty homey!

~Emi

rachel said...

Ben,
Very impressive apartment, sir!!

I thought it looked bad that I was the only family member to not write on your blog, so I stepped it up this week. I'm enjoying reading of your Spanish experiences and am getting exponentially more and more excited to come and visit you. Was that empty room in your pictures reserved for me? I hope so!
Love, Rachel